- Strategy - you have to have one (and stick to it)
- Know what success looks like.
- If your team can't talk to you, you are doing something wrong.
- You should know when to pull the plug on a project.
- See the evolution of your industry and adapt to it - but follow your strategy.
Tuesday, December 22, 2009
Know when to quit...
I've just read a very interesting Wired article about the death of Duke Nuke Forever. A video game project that lasted an incredible 12 years when most games take 3 to 4 years to complete. The end results were that 3D Reals went bankrupt and the game was never released. This is a cautionary tale about keeping objectives real and not letting "the latest thing" drive your project. Other lessons that I would add are: